Friday, January 14, 2011

The Mommy Bag

I think the best bags for mommies like me are shoulder bags because we need to keep our hands free when we're with the little ones.  I'm saying this from experience because my Aly loves to hold my hand when we're walking.  When you're at the mall and you're holding a grocery bag on one hand, your bag on the other and your daughter on whichever hand is with the lighter load, handbags are not the most ideal choice.  I prefer to have my bag on my shoulder so I can hold the groceries on one hand and my daughter on the other.
a
a
Back in 2008 when we first moved to Bangkok.  This was also Aly's first train ride.  Notice how we had to use a Safety First leash back then?  The green, faux crocodile tote bag is from SM.
a
a
Tote bags work best for me because they're big and roomy.  Small, pa-cutesy bags won't do because I carry a lot of stuff.  Aside from the usual wallet, phone and coin purse,  I also carry my daughter's essentials like tissues, baby wipes, hand sanitizer along with my make-up kit, camera, a pen, notebook and foldable eco bag.  Yeah, I kinda carry my entire house but don't you just hate it when you need something only to realize that you left it at home because there's no more room in your bag?  Anyway, let me share with you some of my favorite totes.
a
a
Louis Vuitton Monogram canvas Neverfull PM.  It's a birthday gift from Richard. This bag is super sturdy!  I've been using it for more than two years now.  It's really worth the money.
a
a
Marc by Marc Jacobs canvas tote in aqua.  It's roomy, it has zippers and it's in canvas so it's not a heavy bag.
a
a
Here I'm wearing my purple Nike.  I absolutely love this bag!  I love the color: it's purple and silver outside, bright orange on the inside.  It has pockets in front and at the back.  It also has two pockets on the sides where you can put your water bottle, eco bag...There are more compartments inside as well.  It can fit a ton -- I use this bag when I go to Chatuchak, Pratunam, lunch market and Chinatown.  Did I say I love this bag?
a
a
Now we can't talk about tote bags without including the mother of all tote bags.
a
a
Large Longchamp Le Pliage shopper tote in lilac.  Ladies, if you are to have just one tote bag in your collection, it has to be a Longchamp.  It's practically weightless, roomy and water repellent.  Best of all...
a
a
...it folds into this so it's also perfect for travel.  I have to thank my bestfriend Pat for introducing me to the world of Longchamp (she has a small collection *drool*).
a
a
To sum up:
a
  • The perfect tote bag should be sturdy - Don't mind paying a little extra if you know that the bag will last a long time.
  • It also has to be roomy enough to meet your own essentials along with your kid's essentials.  I once had to fit a stuffed bear in my bag because Aly was too tired to hold it.  
  • Canvas bags are generally lighter - perfect for shopping.  
  • The Longchamp Le Pliage is one of the best tote bags ever.  It's designer yet affordable, roomy, sturdy and super light.  It's got everything that you need in a tote bag.  This is THE tote bag to have.
Hope this helps!  Have a great weekend, y'all! :)


1 comment:

  1. Oh my gulay! Been reading your blog since last nite. I have to comment na :) I love your blog!!! Short and easy to read. Your style is chic and classic. We have few things in common too! I have the large Le Pliage in Bilberry and also a Neverfull GM in Damier Ebene.

    Keep it up! TC

    ReplyDelete