Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Si Daeng

Si daeng is Thai for red.  
a
a
Before my love affair with purple, there was red.  It was my first love.  I had to end it, though, when we moved to Bangkok.  With the political situation and the number of times I've been mistaken for Thai, wearing a red ensemble is not ideal.  Kaya hanggang accessories na lang ako at baka hulihin pa ako ng pulis!  Afraid!
a
a
Anyhoo, for this week's grocery day, I wore this:
a
a
White shirt: Chatuchak
Blue and orange belt: Ukay ukay in Tagaytay
Denim shorts: Old Navy
Sandals: Fitflops
a
a
Swatch Gent in si daeng (red).  A present from Richard.  Btw, use an eco bag when shopping!  Plastic bags are soo not fab!
a
a
I wore red lipstick to match my red watch -- I know, kinda cheesy!  But what the hey!
a
a
MAC Russian Red.
a
a
Russian Red on the back of my hand.
a
a
I love my MAC Russian Red for two reasons: #1 Madonna wore it on her Blond Ambition Tour and you know that anything Madonna is super cool in my book; #2 It lasts forevah!  I put on two coats yesterday -- one coat, blotted with tissue, then another coat -- and it lasted all day!  I ate merienda, drank lots a water (didn't leave any lipstick mark on my glass either), ate dinner and dessert with it and the color stayed on without retouching.  I kid you not!    I was surprised myself!  Richard came home last night at around 10pm and the first thing he noticed were my red lips.  
a
a
MAC is a bit pricey but if you want to rock the red lips look without spending too much, a cheaper alternative to MAC (but not necessarily to Russian Red) would be:
a
a
Revlon Plumpsexxxy in Latino Kiss and Maybelline Color Sensational in Summer Sunset.  Unlike MAC Russian Red which is matte (hence the staying power), these two have more sheen in them that's why I rely on Revlon Colorstay Lip liner in Red to make the color last longer.  
a
a
Effective sya ha.  One time, during my nephew Eli's baptism reception, my mom asked me how come I still had lipstick on after eating.  Richard's tita Tess noticed it too.
a
a
Swatches: Latino Kiss on the left, which is a warmer red; Summer Sunset in the middle, a cooler red; lipliner on the right.  
a
a
Red lipstick truly is a classic.  It never goes out of style.  Some women are shy and afraid to wear red but I think it suits anyone -- you just need to find the right shade.  
a
a
I personally like to wear red lipstick when I'm too lazy to put on make up but I still want to look "made up" because with red lipstick, you have to tone everything else down.  So what I'd do is, I'd line my eyebrows (probably the first and only thing I will put on if I'm too lazy for make up but I still want to look human), put on lipstick and I'm out the door.  Easy peasy.
a
a
Dare to wear red!  It's not as scary as you think :)





1 comment:

  1. Red is always fab. :)btw, i love the shorts, super bagay sau! :)

    ReplyDelete